Thursday, August 16, 2007

A voice on the other end of the phone...

...can change my mood instantly! This morning I was feeling pretty lousy but got up and went about my morning routine as always and decided that I would head out to get Alex's school supplies and have that out of the way before the stores start running out of stuff. When I go into Walmart I normally have no cell service in there at all and yet here I was in the scrapbooking aisle just looking around when my cell phone rings and I look at the # and recognize the area code as being from a satellite phone and I knew instantly that it was Robert. I answered and I hear, "Hey ma...how's it going?" Ahhhhhhhhh, the smile on my face and yet I was frozen in fear because I didn't want to move in case I would get a dropped call!! So here I am stuck in the scrapbook aisle at Walmart talking to my son and my feet are planted in one spot because I don't want to lose the connection!! We only talked for about 2 minutes but it was so good to hear his voice and he told me that everyone is ok and he hopes to be able to call again this weekend. He sounded really tired because they have been doing a lot of walking and that is wearing on them, I assume. That's my boy...boots on the ground doing his job! What is really amazing to me is that Jim, Jesse AND Alex were all home and when I asked Jim if Robert had called the house he said no...so how did he know to call my cell first? It was as if someone told him that his mom needed to hear his voice today. Thank you, Lord, for that blessing.
Tonight I took a really cute class at Scrapbook Delight and I was having a wonderful evening and feeling less stress after hearing from Robert when Cara (the owner of the store) told us that she is going out of business. I am so sad to hear this, I have just recently started taking classes there and now she's closing her doors. It just broke my heart to hear her talk about her shattered dreams and it made me think about my mom and dad because they had a business of their own and they didn't make it either....it's so hard for small businesses to compete with the larger chain stores. I wish Cara a lot of luck in whatever she does in the next step of her life and I know I'll be seeing her at local crops in the future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So HAPPY to hear that you got that call... It really does change your whole day, mood, etc.!!


=)
Kim

Laura said...

Oh, I am so glad to know you heard from him. YAY ROBERT! :)

Anonymous said...

I always love to read your wonderful journal,I am soooooooo happy Bobby call [God speed to him].

Kelly said...

Oh i'm so glad to hear that you heard from Robert!!! I have been wondering!